This part time course, offered over an 18-24 month period, enables teachers and therapists to screen and remediate literacy difficulties, including Dyslexia, in school aged children. HPCSA awards 60 CEU (Level 3) points; SACE awards 40 CPTD. The course is accredited with the British Dyslexia Association (BDA).
The outcomes of the course are:
- Understand Dyslexia and the theories of causality;
- Understand “normal” literacy development and how the learner with Dyslexia differs;
- Identify reading difficulties and risk for Dyslexia;
- With mentoring, profile a learner's strengths and difficulties, and implement an individualised, structured programme with the learner over the duration of 20 hours;
- Offer support to other members of staff to include learners with Dyslexia.
There are three modes of delivery available. The frequency of each type of course is determined by demand:
- Direct contact with students for lectures is offered once per week for approximately 36 weeks (one afternoon per week 15:00 to 18:00);
- In block periods of one-week during the school holidays (spread over three and four term school calendars).
- Alternatively, the course is available entirely online. (SACE and BDA accreditation in process.)
Twelve hours of supervision of the case study is estimated. The case study (screening process, lessons plans and monitoring of the learner's progress), a reflective assignment on the case study, and one other assignment on the theory of Dyslexia and its implications for identifying and screening for Dyslexia, form part of the final portfolio of evidence. Participants are required to submit video recordings of the screening process and two full lessons. The assessment of a student’s professional practice is internally assessed and moderated. The two assignments are externally assessed.
Admission Requirements Open or Close
- A professional qualification
- A minimum of 3 years of educational or therapeutic experience
Key Contacts Open or Close
Course Recognition Open or Close
Who Should Attend Open or Close
- Learning Support Educators;
- Educators in Special Needs Schools;
- Reading Specialist Teachers;
- Educators in Primary Schools and High Schools;
- Health Professionals working with Language Related Difficulties
- Education Officials
A limited number of candidates will be trained to ensure maximum attention.
Enrolment Process Open or Close
A non-refundable fee of R500 is payable on registration. This fee covers the review of your documentation to determine whether the entry requirements outlined above have been met.
This fee is payable via the S.H.A.R.E. website: www.bellavistashare.org.za/book.
On completion of the registration process and the submission of your CV, you will:
- Receive a letter of indicating whether you have been accepted;
- Submit certified copies of your identity document, certified copies of your formal qualifications, and a letter of support from your immediate supervisor;
- Sign and submit the payment option form;
- Pay a deposit;
- Enter into a contractual agreement with Bellavista S.H.A.R.E.
A week before the course opens you will be sent Handbook 1.
Cost Open or Close
Prices for enrolment in 2017:
Online Course: R29 500 (Payment Options Available on Request)
This includes the on-line materials, moderation, supervision as well as training on the RAVE-O literacy programme.
The recommended core textbook as well as the intervention and assessment materials are for candidate’s own cost. These are estimated at R5 500.
Accreditation with SACE and the British Dyslexia Association is in process. Students wanting BDA accreditation will pay a review fee of approximately £80, which is not included in the course fee.
Block Course: R33 900 (Payment Options Available on Request)
This includes the course materials, moderation, supervision, training on the RAVE-O literacy programme as well as the textbook, a toolkit and the assessment materials.
The course is accredited with the British Dyslexia Association (BDA). On completion of the course, candidates can apply for this accreditation at their own cost, which is estimated at approximately £80.
Cancellation Policy Open or Close
You may cancel your registration provided the course has not commenced. This should be done in writing and be acknowledged in writing by Bellavista S.H.A.R.E. A handling fee will be charged.
Should you withdraw during the course, you are liable for the full course fee.
Programme Outline Open or Close
Understanding Dyslexia, causality and the impact on learners.
1st Assignment is externally marked.
Identification and Report Writing
Identify learner's literacy profile to plan intervention.
Structured, multisensory intervention and other programmes.
Supporting inclusive practice
Supervised Specialist Practice
Preparation, planning, and monitoring of intervention
Facilitate the lessons with one learner
From learner identification to completion of specialist teaching.
Additional supervision time costs to be borne by candidate.